Extra accomplishments while in office Dec 2010-Aug 2012,
- Facilitated bringing back the union newsletter
- Implemented several very effective methods for the Committee to communicate
- Gave us a stronger contract by having almost word-for-word documentation of the meaning/discussion behind the CBA language while bargaining
- Utilized so-called 'down-time' in office to work on many projects to improve quality of service to members
- Kept track of all paid hours in order to stay accountable and give insight to members to the work being done
- Compiled recognition database to easily identify all members in the Casino
- Gathered many members into CAW facebook group and initiated the sharing of job postings online
- Started a now defunct program where every question to the union would be responded to in writing; and then sharing it so any Committee member could follow-up immediately with any secondary requests
- Instead of just being voted in, got members to vote for their 'top issues' to cater towards actual desires of the membership
- Compiled entire digital database of every piece of paperwork that came through the union office for quick/easy look up from anywhere connected to our computer server
- Started gathering constructive communication and participation in many of the 1090's standing committees which hadn't been visibly active for years
- Ensured chairs for all departments possible
- Spearheaded the Part-Time Core Shift language, which is unfortunately still going through the arbitration process
- Ensured that while the Casino did not print our new CBA booklets for months that there were many custom hand-made copies available for everyone who asked as soon as possible
- While still in office made sure custom Casino-specific pocket calendars were still made available for everyone, not just during an election year
- When the casino didn't recycle all items, would collect and bring home bags of recyclables to be put through the municipal curbside system
Full 2010 Statement
The Next Steps... Now!
Many of us see that we started with a half-decent contract for being a new union. Although there are many improvements still to be made within the contract, what we need to address immediately and continually are the regular 'day-to-day business' needs within our office which are severely lacking.
I've witnessed and even received the sometimes drastic effects of these holes in our processes. So I started spending as much time as I could volunteering in the union office to determine all the reasons why things didn't seem to be working out like they should for so many of us. Soon after, I jumped at the first opportunity I became aware of to be a union steward.
After over a year of coming in hours early and staying late for the vast majority of my shifts to spend time seeking answers, I have identified many of the reasons behind our failures, and with input from many co-workers, developed solutions that I have already begun implementing and which are outlined for you later.
I believe I am able to work the hardest and bring the skills required to build up the best union possible for you. Thus, if you want these 'Next Steps Now' to come to fruition, I trust you will vote for me to serve you with all that I have to offer.
Thank-you for your support!
The Next Steps..... Planned Work Projects - & - Plans in Response to Major Issues
- Internal Communication AND Representatives Access to Information
- Web Portal Solution (click for more info...)
- External Communication (Between Union & Members) - Members' Access to Information
- Mini-Mail Response System Solution (click for more info...)
- Newsletter (click for more info...)
- Website Solution (click for more info...)
- Personal Contact
- Plan to get out and meet with members for their opinions on issues regularly by either assigning sets of employees to specific committee members and/or having a checklist to make sure each one has met with someone every 2-3 months personally.
- Plan to have coverage even on stat holidays and when not in the office have time sign up sheet so you can write your name and your next break if you'd like a union rep there at a certain time to meet with.
- Forcing of Contract to be Followed / Failed Actions on Issues
- Plat that any breaches of contract/acts/policies to be grieved and inform those affected as to outcome.
- Plan to look into each issue from the past that has results which weren't communicated or wasn't pursued at all, then give a firm answer about the status of each issue to all members affected.
- Many people still don't know the outcome of our P/T benefit result, the company was required to make us and offer but offered something less desirable than our $.75/hour wage 'in lieu '. So we chose to stick with our hourly wage increase instead of accepting their deal. This can't continue in the future, benefits will need to stay and be enforced fully for full timers and a concrete reasonable deal for part timers.
- FT/PT Ratio
- Even though these ratios have stayed nearly the same by department a long time, it still seems to many members that it isn't being enforced closely enough. If we could get an actual number down in writing that we could say with a definitive 'yes' or 'no' it is or isn't being followed then this would set our members at ease with the state of lack of availability of positions.
- Will have reports on at least my own use of paid time so you know what I have spent it on and know what results you should expect to see or may not see as a result of specific time investments.
- Environmental Issues
- Will work inside and outside of the union office to be as close to a zero-waste operation as possible, also take action within our communities on these types of concerns.
- Will regularly review all union processes and make sure they're running smoothly and effectively so that tweaks or overhauls can be made to fix errors quickly with minimal, if any, damage to each members requirements of us.
- If you don't have any issues and would like to get more involved in making continual good things happen in and outside of our workplace, the union office should and will be the place to find those things, we can be proactive and lead you to areas of your own personal interest to pursue what matters to you most in life.
- Leading us forward with a clearly defined path so that time is no longer wasted and progress is continually strived for by as many reps and members as possible.
- People are my life. Whether within the office or out of it doing any job, you can trust a dedicated person will work for you regardless of where life leads them or what position they hold.
- External Experience
- Plan to start getting reps/stewards as many experiences as possible dealing with similar issues and acting out not just for change in our workplace, which comes first, but change in our communities which will build each other up and find substance outside of our little world of the Heron.
- Internal Experience
- Plan to start getting everyone active in as many ways as possible, teaching and leading union stewards and the membership as well to be the strongest, most effective people they can be.
- Training Union People
- Plan to create a training manual/program so that we're all on the same page and there is no confusion of what is to be done considering each step of any discipline or informative process.
- Training Staff
- Will look into getting more training to make our casino the best entertainment in the world. have English/Mandarin language training for those who need or desire to become more helpful to our clientele and close to our co-workers. Bringing any divides we may have closer and closer together.
- Will be connected with as many people and resources as possible to properly evaluate all things that come our way and not just deciding for ourselves and our own limited experience to make quick decisions.